Friday, April 24, 2009

Savor the moments

I picked up Good Housekeeping magazine the other day, something I rarely do because I think I'm just too much of a feminist. I'm glad I did, though, because an article caught my eye and, because it relates to the theme of my blog, I'm going to write about it here.

The article I'm talking about was written by Geneen Roth, who's written a number of books on food addiction. This article, entitled "Hidden Gifts," reminds the reader that wonderful moments can arise out of what we consider to be our challenges. Geneen focuses on weight loss here but her advice is applicable to all areas of life. For example, she asks that we "think of how [we] might be blessed right now," and tells us to consider the little things that bring us joy. Here are mine:


**Yesterday, my daughter came running full-bore when I arrived at her preschool to pick her up. Her face was lit up and she shouted "Mama!" as she ran. I swept her up and she wrapped her little arms around me and I knew the full extent of her love.

**Today, the sun is shining and the temperature is 82 degrees. Yesterday I had to scrape ice off my windshield before I could drive, but this morning no jacket was needed.

**At home I have various greens sprouting in one of four raised beds, and I know within a few short weeks I'll be able to harvest lettuce and spinach for my salads.

**Tonight I'll go walking with a friend and we'll chat. That I can walk around the track is a blessing. That I can feel safe with Emma playing in the nearby playground is a blessing. That I have a nice person with whom to enjoy my walk is a blessing.

Remember your blessings as you move through your day. Notice the small things and appreciate them before you move on to the next moment.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. Yes, remember the good while you move through every moment.

    So... lady, are you coming to my play date? The event is on my Facebook page. May 30th. Check it out for details. Feel free to delete this comment if you're hiding your location b/c I'm out. I just couldn't find your e-mail.

    ReplyDelete